Saturday, August 15, 2009

Old dads

Chris' riff on veterinarians and pediatricians got me thinking. The honest truth of it, the most profound truth of being a dad or mom, is this:

You know nothing about the meaning of fear until you have a child.

When you have a child, there is, forever after, only one fear -- the one that shall not be named here. It condenses down into one hard, black walnut in your stomach. You have this fear, and your child never will until he or she becomes a parent. This is what Pete Seeger was getting at. At the same time, your own mortality seems a much smaller concern once you're a parent, thanks to your new and bigger worries. I guess that's something.

As for dogs... All of our friends with kids, all of them dog lovers, have abandoned their dogs. Emotionally, that is. I'm not doubting your undying affection for your Cool Dog, but leave open the possibility his star will fade a bit.

Do I make it sound awful? I hope not. My older girl made up her first song yesterday. It goes, "I'm being careful, I'm being careful, I'm being careful, I'm being careful."

No comments:

Post a Comment